Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Understanding My Sharepoint Sites

=> I researched on the net and did not find a perfect Answer to this . I got to know that this is a Automated process But how does it work ?  Why does it not work for some users And they keep Opening Tickets

=> Being a Farm admin why don't I see all the sites in the My SharePoint sites

=> This was very confusing so i wanted to do some more research on this . After Researching what I got to know is the Membership information comes from the profile import/crawl and the "My SharePoint Sites" gets updated on the client PC on a daily basis.

=> It happens that's some users don't see all the sites listed under My SharePoint sites even if they are a part of the site.

=> Add to My links is not connected to My SharePoint sites it will add a link in the Drop down below My SharePoint Sites . This is the First thing all the users often try .

=> So after Going through some documentation this is what i got to know

=> For the users that are not experiencing the membership features of MOSS 2007 (for e.g My SharePoint Sites, etc), they were listed in the Owners group on the SharePoint site.

=> The membership functionality strictly works for the users listed explicitly in the Members group of the SharePoint site.

=> Now It Does make sense and is much Transparent. The only thing we have to do now is insure the owner of the site is also a member of each site collection in order for them to take advantage of the membership features .

=> As long as your site collections all reside under the same SSP your My Site belongs to, the membership functionality will work across the board. This is a tried and tested in my Environment

Note : Your memberships will be updated on the next index crawl cycle

***** How to Show sub-sites Under My SharePoint Sites ?******

Answer = You will have to explicitly add the user to the members group of all the subsites as well.

=> When we Create a sub-site it automatically creates 3 new groups for that subsite. By default it puts the site creator in the Owners and the Members group.

=> So it Doesn't Mean That if you are a owner you need not be a member of that site .If you remove yourself from the members group will not allow the site to be captured in the membership system

No comments:

Post a Comment

Users cannot see the checked out files in the folder/ library

I Came across a Issue today wherein the user opened a ticket for the below issue Issue : Users cannot see the checked out files in the fo...